You are here

RAMW Training FAQs

What is the cost of the classes? 
Food Manager is $200 per person and Alcohol Manager is $90 per person. RAMW Members receive a 15% discount on ServSafe training classes.

Do I need to register for a class ahead of time?
Yes. Registration ahead of the class is required for all attendees.

When are the classes?
Click here to view the schedule of upcoming classes.

What’s included in the class?
The class includes in-person instruction by a certified ServSafe Instructor, coursebook, and written exam.

Are there breaks?
Yes, the class takes short breaks throughout the session and a breaks for lunch before the start of the exam. 

What do I need for the class? 
On the day of the class, you must bring a valid government issued photo-id to verify you as the registered attendee and exam identification. Also, bring proof of payment; it can be the emailed receipt on your phone or a printed copy. If your class was paid for by someone else (i.e. your employer) you will need to provide the name on the payment card for verification.  If you have not made payment on the day of the class, you need to do so before the start of the class via credit card, company check, certified check or money order.

Can I pick up a study guide or book before the class?
Yes, you can pick up the course book before the class; the class fee must be paid before the book will be released to the attendee. An electronic study guide will be sent to attendees via email if available.

How many questions are on the test?
The Food Manager exam has 90 questions and the Alcohol Manager exam as 70 questions.

How long do I have to take the exam?
Food and Alcohol Manager examinees are allotted two-hours to take the exam.

When will I get the results of the exam?
Results for both the Food and Alcohol exams are received within 10-14 days of the class.

What happens if I fail the exam?
You can retest if you did not pass the examination, if your employer requires you to retake the exam, or if your certification is expired. You may take the examination twice within 30 days. If you don't pass your second attempt, you must wait at least 60 days from your most recent attempt before taking the exam again.

Is there a fee to retake the exam if I fail?
Yes, there is a fee of $75 to retake the printed exam with a certified RAMW proctor. You also have the option to retake the exam online at the RAMW office for a fee of $110.

Do you have Spanish or other language instruction?
RAMW offers a Spanish language Food Manager class, including course materials and exam, 2-3 times per year. These classes are 2-day classes, with both days required to complete the course instruction. The exam is given on day 2 of the class. Our Spanish language courses are led by Bilingual Hospitality at the RAMW office. Registration for Spanish language courses, once scheduled, is the same as English classes. At this time, classes in other languages are not offered; however, we are able to provide exams, during English classes, in the following languages: Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and French Canadian. Please be sure to alert RAMW two weeks prior to your desired course date if you would like to take the exam in one of these language options.  You may notify via email to: with your desired exam language.  

Note that unless otherwise marked as SPANISH, all RAMW courses will be taught in English.  These language options are only available for the exams which provide the questions in the specified language with the English form right beside it.

Where are you located?
2112 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Suite 450, Washington, DC 20037; unless otherwise specified.

Is there parking available?
There is limited street parking near the RAMW office, located in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood, however, there are multiple parking garages near the building.

What is the closest METRO station?
The closest METRO station to the RAMW office is Foggy Bottom/GWU (blue, orange, and silver lines); located approximately 1-block from the building.

What if I arrive late to the class?
Classes begin promptly at the stated time (9:00 am for Food Manager and 9:30 am for Alcohol Manager). Please note that attendees arriving more than 20 mins after the start of a class may not be allowed to join the course in session. Late arrivals may be asked to reschedule for an upcoming date.

What is the severe weather plan?
The RAMW office follows the severe weather closure plan as set forth by the DC Government.  If the District of Columbia Government is closed on a scheduled course day, the RAMW office is also closed and the course will be rescheduled for a later date. For example, if the District of Columbia Government is on a 2-hour delay, the RAMW office will open at 11:00 am with the class will beginning at 11:00 am for Food Manager or 11:30 am for Alcohol Manager.

Can I book a private class at my restaurant?
Yes, we are able to arrange a private class at your restaurant for 5 or more attendees. Click here for additional information.

Do I need to take the class again if I already have an expiring or expired certificate?
Food Manager certification holders are not required to the take the full course again to recertify, however, you must take the exam. RAMW is able to proctor online exams for people recertifying as a Food Manager. The price for the online exam is $90 per person. Click here to schedule an online exam at RAMW. Alcohol Manager certification requires the full course is taken before the exam can be administered.

How long is the certificate valid?
In the District of Columbia, Food Manager and Alcohol Awareness certifications are valid for a period of 3 years. Please check with the jurisdiction in Maryland or Virginia where you are or will work for the validation period for the Food and/or Alcohol certifications.

Is there an online class available?
Yes. ServSafe offers the Food Manager and Alcohol Awareness courses online; the exams must be administered by a certified proctor (the Advanced Alcohol exam must be proctored). You can take the online exam for Food/Alcohol at RAMW once the online course is completed. Proof of completion is required. Click here to schedule an online exam at RAMW. 

I've already taken the course in-person, do I need to take it again to recertify?

If you have already taken the Food Manager's course, you are eligible to recertify by taking the exam only. You must be able to show proof of previously having been certified or of having taken the online course to take the online exam to recertify for the Food Manager's certificate. Recertification for the Alcohol Awareness certificate requires that the course is taken before the exam is administered.

Have a question not listed here? Give us a call at (202) 331-5990 or email us at